There are many signs when you are having commercial mold issues at your office or workplace in general. You need to watch for these signs. Far too often, business owners and upper management dismiss the problem until a major issue develops.
In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.
Here you’ll find 4 signs of workplace mold exposure. Also these signs help determine if you need assistance of a professional mold removal company.
Impact on Employees With Allergies
Your employees who will be impacted by a commercial mold problem first will be your employees or guest who are sensitive to mold, have allergies, and have a weaker immune system in general. Watch for complaints from employees as a possible first sign. These employees tend to know their symptoms, so if something changes with them, they know it when it happens. By taking care of mold growth at this stage, you’re protecting those employees from getting sicker and preventing other employees from getting sick if they aren’t as sensitive.
Impact on Employees Without Allergies
Common mold exposure symptoms include irritated skin, nasal issues, difficulty breathing, wheezing, feeling congested, and eye reactions like itchy eyes or watery eyes. Additional symptoms include headaches and a sore throat. While these serve as common symptoms for allergies, they tend to be more drastic when it comes to mold exposure. Listen to your body to see if you have any of these symptoms. It may serve as a sign of mold exposure.
Impact on Others
Customers, employees, visitors, students, that seldom are around a commercial building with mold may have even bigger issues than they may realize. Being exposed to black mold with no respite from the black mold spores consistently can lead to much greater reactions on a much more severe basis. These issues include chronic issues with their lungs, upper respiratory, and chest problems caused form inflammation that occurs as a result of the exposure to the mold. These issues are worsened if a person is already predisposed to allergies, have a mold sensitivity, or have a weakened immune system. If you notice any symptoms that come out of nowhere, you need to tell someone in the workplace to cut down on any mold growth that may exist in the building.
In most cases, black mold creates issues for people, even with a short exposure period. While some molds aren’t harmful, black mold isn’t one of those molds. Identifying and treating black mold as soon as it’s discovered is crucial.
Mold harms people in various ways. Just because it affects people differently doesn’t mean it’s not a serious problem. Once you find out your office has a mold problem, take care of it immediately. Extreme Microbial Technologies can help. With our proven track record and equipment, we can cut down on the presence of mold and other microbes in your commercial building. Contact us for more information.